Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Chip Banana Bread


I am not a baker. I am not a baker because I don't like sweets. That's right, I said it. I don't like cupcakes, I don't like pie, I don't like donuts, and I especially don't like cake. I do however, have a weakness for banana bread. The first time I ever made banana bread I used Greek yogurt and it turned out horrible! It would not cook in the middle and I ended up chopping it up into pieces just to get it to bake in the oven. Definitely not worth it. My second time around, I decided to nix the Greek yogurt and add chocolate chips. It turned out so good that my boyfriend asks me to make more almost every week. 

We had a bunch of bananas that were starting to go old so lucky for Adam, I woke up early to make a loaf of banana bread. It's gloomy out, the leaves are changing colors and falling off the trees, and our condo smells like fresh baked banana bread. I am in heaven.

Dark Chocolate and Cinnamon Chip Banana Bread

  • 3 overripe bananas
  • 1-2 tablespoons cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon skim milk
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons), room temperature, unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup cinnamon chips
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 9x5x3 loaf pan.

In a small bowl mix bananas with milk and cinnamon (I love cinnamon so I use 2 tablespoons). In a large bowl cream butter and sugar. Add eggs to butter and sugar mixture and mix. Slowly fold in banana mixture. 

In another small bowl, mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips, and cinnamon chips. Adding the chocolate and cinnamon chips to the flour mixture allows the chips to stick to the flour so they do not sink to the bottom of the banana bread.  

Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, working in 3 batches. Once mixed, pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. 

To make this bread extra special, you can make a chocolate glaze to pour over the top!



Chocolate Glaze

  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons skim milk
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl and pour over cooled banana bread. Allow glaze to set for 15-20 minutes. 

2 comments:

  1. If I have no wheat flour, is it okay just to use all purpose flour for the wholeee thing? I only ask because I have an excess of all purpose and a lack of wheat.

    Also as a fellow baker, I have long wondered why banana bread recipes express the idea of adding the "dry to the wet" when so many other recipes (of baked goods) yield the opposite. Is it because of the consistency is so drastically changed by the banana itself? or because the whole process produces a hodgepodge of a sort that it cannot be traditionally classified as a dough? Furthermore, I was also wondering if I should mix the eggs in the wet mixture singly or does it not matter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use all purpose flour for all of it, it will turn out the same. You add the dry to the wet because the flour is hard to mix into the wet mixture, especially for me since I do not use a hand mixer. As for the eggs, I add them all at once, break the yolks with a spatula, then mix them in.

      Delete