Saturday, January 16, 2016

Chicken Dumpling Soup

It's very rare to have a perfect weather day in the midwest. It's the beginning of January and within the past two weeks we've had an ice/snow storm, rain, intense fog, and weather in the teens then a day later it's in the mid 40's. I can't really ever tell if it's winter or spring. With that said, what I do know, is that it's perfect soup weather.

Any time it's gloomy all I want to do is sit in sweatpants, catch up on some reading, and eat homemade soup. Anyone else weirded out by the mushy veggies in canned soup? No? Ok it's just me then. Anyways....

When I was in high school, the one thing I could not live without was chicken dumpling soup from Vegas in Antioch. I had their soup schedule memorized and would die a little inside if I ever missed my chance to get their soup. It was the BEST. Now that I have moved away and their hours have changed (I'm still upset about this), I don't get the luxury of enjoying their soup. So, naturally, I took to my cookbooks to learn how to make my own.  

This recipe is pretty easy so don't be intimidated and it's a lot healthier than buying canned biscuits from the store and throwing them in some broth. Bonus: it makes for amazing leftovers (just ask my coworkers).


Yield: 4-6 servings
  • 3 chicken breasts (poached and shredded)
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 white onion, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 48 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup cold low fat buttermilk
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted and still hot)
  • 1 large egg white
  • Fresh parsley (for garnish), optional

In a large pot, heat canola oil over medium heat. Once hot, add carrots and onions and sauté until softened (about 10 minutes). Add broth, thyme and shredded chicken. Bring to a low boil and simmer while preparing the dumplings. 

In a large bowl whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, stir chilled buttermilk into hot melted butter until small clumps form then whisk in egg white. Add wet mixture to dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until combined. If you're having trouble getting the dough to combine, use your hands. 

Using a greased spoon or your hands, scoop and drop dumplings into simmering soup (about 1" apart). Dumplings should be about 1-2" in size. Wrap the pot's lid with a clean kitchen towel, cover pot, and cook on low heat for 14-16 minutes or until dumplings have doubled in size. To prevent towel from touching heat source, use a rubber band (or in my case a hair tie) to hold excess towel together overtop lid. Serve and top with parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment