Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Peppermint Cookie Puppy Chow


It's that time of year again where people scramble around the grocery stores trying to figure out just what it is that they want to make for the holidays. I, thankfully, am not one of those people. My list of appetizers, desserts, and side dish options is endless. What to make for which family however, is a tough choice for me. I celebrate Christmas with three different families and this year I decided that I would bring something different to each celebration. The first and easiest dish: puppy chow, a much loved crowd pleaser kicked up a notch.

The original puppy chow is loved by most but it's the holidays people! Time to spice things up and do something different. While walking around the grocery store one day, I saw mini candy cane Oreo's. Now I don't really care for Oreo's but it did give me an idea. I grabbed a big box and a few other ingredients that I thought go well with the Oreo's and headed home. The recipe turned out so well that I knew I needed to post it right away for those of you who are still pondering your options.

  • 1 box Chex cereal
  • 1 family sized box candy cane mini Oreo's
  • 1 10oz. bag Special Dark Hershey's Kisses
  • 1 10oz. bag Candy Cane Hershey's Kisses
  • 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Evenly separate cereal into two large bowls; set aside. Unwrap Hershey's Kisses and place in microwave safe bowls (keeping flavors separate). 

Add 1 cup of Oreo's to food processor and pulse until cookies have turned to small crumbs. Set aside.

Melt dark chocolate in the microwave; heating for 30 second increments until smooth. Pour over one bowl of cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Add 1/2 of the crushed Oreo's and stir again until coated.

Pour into large reclosable plastic bag or paper bag and add all of the powdered sugar. Shake until well coated; there will be a lot of excess powdered sugar, this is okay, you still have another batch of cereal to add.

Repeat with candy cane kisses. Once second bowl of cereal is evenly coated with melted chocolate, add the remaining crushed Oreo's. Add to bag with powdered sugar and shake to coat. Once combined, add what's left of the box of Oreo's and shake to combine. Allow to cool and enjoy!


* Puppy chow can be stored in an airtight container for 3-4 days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment